Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Record Purchases for the Week

You can't leave me alone on a Monday in this town. The restaurant is closed, so I always find myself wandering around town, maybe going to the gym, drinking beer, and more than likely coming home with a few new records under my arm.

I'm a huge fan of the music of old, don't get me wrong I'm all up on today's tunes, but most days you will find me listening to the shit your parents listened to. That said my purchases for this week are two classics of 1966.

Buffalo Springfield - s/t (1966)
Nearly every track on this album is a pure gold. Kicking off with the 'Nam era classic "For What It's Worth," it's hard to think this is an album that the band wasn't too pleased with. Along with The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield is pretty much solely responsible for bringing country music and rock n roll together. The psychedelic trends of the era where just starting to take off at this time, and while Buffalo Springfield doesn't completely ignore them, they blend them with classic blues and country music and created their own stamp on the era, one of which many other great bands would follow suit.

Jefferson Airplane - Takes Off (1966)
While Buffalo Springfield strayed away from the psychedelic sound, Jefferson Airplane went on to define it. Although this album is pre-Grace Slick era Jefferson Airplane it still serves as portrait of where the band would be headed, and how they would end up challenging even the Beatles and Stones on the pop charts in 1967 with the release of "Surrealistic Pillow."

Other recent purchases: The Clash - London Calling, Minus the Bear - Acoustic, Sleep - Dopesmoker

No comments:

Post a Comment