Thursday, May 20, 2010

Song of the Day

The Band: LCD Soundsystem
The Track: New York I Love You, But Your Bringing Me Down
The Album: Sound of Silver
The Reason:  James Murphy is a master of his craft, and with just three albums under his belt as LCD Soundsystem (The latest "This is Happening" came out this week), he's reportedly ready to call it quits. It's a bit bittersweet, but it's one of those things that I appreciate someone who knows when to stop when they are ahead, and in this case, stop before he gets too ahead of his times. LCD Soundsystem has always found its groove and critical acclaim due to the relavancy of its placement in our musical history. James Murphy taps into all of our urges with his songs, and transcends genres left and right.

This track, along with "Never As Tired As When I'm Waking Up," from the S/T album, are two of my favorites, as they really showcase Murphy as an insightful crooner. Sure the upbeat poppy throbbing hits like "Daft Punk is Playing in My House" amongst other are a blast and the core of the band, but when he mellows it down i'm usually in complete awe. I really hope as Murphy takes his next steps, he steps into the shoes of a musician more in the vein of this song.  This is definitely going to be the highlight of Sasquatch this year for me.

The Video:

No comments:

Post a Comment