Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Song of the Day

The Band : Two Gallants
The Album: S/T (20007, Saddle Creek)
The Song: Reflections of the Marionette
The Reason: Thank god for my iPod having a momentary resurrection. Two Gallants have a knack for writing songs about loves lost, in the most bitterly poetic way possible. Jaded, angry, and convincingly justified. All delivered with the swagger of a loner wandering down the dusty deserted streets of a old west town in the moments before a gun fight. Although it's well tucked away in my past at this point, this song reminds me of a time where I felt exactly this same way. As cheesy as it is (and god knows I'm a sucker for that) I've pretty much lived these words. Stumbling across it now, it just makes me laugh. Amazing band, amazing album

Lyrics: Call the dogs and sound the horns; the city key of wheres I borns; has been stolen by someone; I thought I knew; she blew in with some angel dust; from southern state where love is lust and I hope she's gone; by the time this song is through

the streets she only knows by name; of dead white men who rose to fame by slitting every throat along the way she transcends the avenue; an eye for me, a wink for you; I feel myself becoming yesterday

Darlin I can't wait; for you to leave this town; you just got here too late; and no one wants you 'round; with one foot on my back; and the other on the rail; I don't want to see you fall; I just want to see you fail

and the night is sweet; the night's divine; it stains your cheeks; with blood-red wine; and leaves you lyin'; in your enemy's arm; and while you mumble down the hall something bout a skin made wall; you find you're just a sucker; for her charms; and the vanity that cased the skin shoves you in before they sin; and see your sense of self; just fade away; and see you're just a one man show and once you're done; it's time to go; hear yourself your footsteps down the way

Darlin I can't wait; for you to leave this town; you just got here too late; and no one wants you 'round; with one foot on my back; and the other on the rail; I don't want to see you fall; I just want to see you fail

and his youth protects the failing light; with his shirt sleeves rolled; and the humid night
and he drags his heels; when he hears her call his name; and wondering when love will descend from a lofty; room where all dreams end; in her waiting room; he leans upon his cane; and his turn comes
the next in line; the well-worn steps he slowly climbs see a line of meathooks on display and in the streets; the siren sings; what words they tell; what news they bring; the puppet and his cold coat strings obeys

but darlin' I can't wait, for you to leave this town; you just got here too late; and no one wants you 'round; with one foot on my back; and the other on the rail; I dont want to see you fall; I just want to see you fail; I dont want to see you fall; I just want to see you fail

The Video:

No comments:

Post a Comment